Outfit: top – Banana Republic | skirt – B-Sides thrift | necklace – estate sale | bag – Cuyana | heels – Aldo
I’ve held on to these yellow, wooden block heels for way too long. They hold a special place in my heart for being quirky and artistic. But their little secret? They are the worst pair of shoes in the world to walk in; they don’t stay on; they flop about. Totally not chic. So despite their cute appearance, they did not survive my KonMari clean-out, although they did manage one last outfit photo.
What better way to start the week and usher in October than with an epic giveaway? If for no other reason than I love every single one of these things; the featured Richmond business owners and organizations are AWESOME; and in general free things, especially really cool free things, are great.
Since my partners in this giveaway have been super generous, I’m excited to share that we will be celebrating with two winners. Items are as follows:
1. Stacy London’s book The Truth About Style + one custom necklace from Made, one ticket to the Valentine History Museum Classical Allure exhibit and a goody bag full of fun things from Elements Beauty Shop
2. Lily Rain $25 gift card + one custom necklace from Made, one ticket to the Valentine History Museum Classical Allure exhibit and a goody bag full of fun things from Elements Beauty Shop.
- Give a shoutout to one of these awesome vendors on social media (Twitter or Facebook) AND tag @chicstripes and #chicstripesgiveaway so we can log your entries. If you don’t have either platform, you can leave a blog comment telling me one cool thing you learned about each vendor. Yes, homework. :)
- Entries – Max 4 per person (one social media post/blog comment for each vendor) and you must follow the directions above.
- Giveaway – open for one week. 9/28-10/4. Winner announced 10/5.
A HUGE thank you to all my vendors:
- Made in Mechanicsville – Lauren at Made is hands down one of the best business women I have ever met. She cranks out her darling pieces after work at her day job and time with her husband (and future baby!).
- The Valentine – The Valentine is THE history museum in Richmond. Besides great historical exhibits, they frequently tap into the DNA of Richmond with exhibitions that include Beard Wars, Tattoos, First Ladies’ Gowns and the current exhibit: Classical Allure, a fashion forward exhibit if I ever saw one.
- Elements Beauty Shop – Shopping local is something I try to do as much as I can and after partnering up with Elements Beauty Shop as an Elements Beauty Blogger, I have learned so much about natural and organic beauty products. Don’t forget, you can use my code CHICSTRIPES to get 10% off your first online purchase with them!
- Lily Rain – Lily Rain is the most recent addition to the Richmond fashion landscape, located in Short Pump Town Center. This Texas-based boutique is still small enough to not be encumbered by corporate leanings and they are giving Richmond women exactly what they want: Swell bottles, Tokoyo Milk beauty products and fashion from brands such as French Connection. They are also the perfect place for gifts with adorable books, notebooks, candles, jewelry and more.
This is not a sponsored post and I wasn’t asked to share anything particular about any of these brands or organizations – we just wanted to share the love of fashion and beauty!
The Stylized Portrait Experience
Images: Jenny McQueen, Capture Photography
Hair and makeup: Lou Stevens Glam Squad
Styling: Sydney Page Lester
Models: Maggie of Maggie’s Misc. Events and her husband Don
You guys! I couldn’t be more excited to officially announce the launch of The Stylized Portrait Experience! Jenny McQueen (of RVA Coffee with Strangers photographer fame and co-owner of Capture Photography) is the mastermind behind this idea and I am seriously honored to be the wardrobe stylist for this new service.
You saw a few behind the scenes images from back in August on Instagram but I wanted to share a few more from across the various vendors’ channels. Getting the final images of any project is always amazing, but it’s all to easy to forget the work that goes into getting those images. It takes a village! Or at least a very good team.
1. Styling shoots is all about getting that background right. (Jenny Mcqueen) 2. Hair and make up! (Capture Photography) 3. Merchandising the accessories AKA sorting and organizing. (Chic Stripes) 4. Vintage + modern pieces make a unique look. (Capture Photography) 5. Lou Stevens Glam Squad and our model. (Maggie’s Misc. Events) 6. Experimentation is also key to getting those backgrounds just right. (Chic Stripes)
If you are interested in Stylized Portraits of your own, please check out my Services page here. We would love to work with you to make your special day even more special!
Outfit: top – Rachel Pally from Baggio Consignment | jeans – Banana Republic | scarf – thrifted | shoes – Salvatore Ferragamo, thrifted | sunglasses – Prada | bag – Cuyana | earrings – market in Hawaii | rings – Nest RVA and Stella and Dot
Last week my husband and I slipped away for an impromptu date night to The Cask, a little place that is quickly becoming one of my favorite spots for a great happy hour and fancy (but not so fancy that you feel pretentious) sausage and cheese boards. Add in their open garage doors, a setting sun and summer/fall night weather and it’s the perfect place to relax. In other news, I’ve been KonMari-ing my home and found these vintage Salvatore Ferragamo shoes I had tucked away in storage on the premise that I would use them for photo shoots. Well, photo shoots be dammed. These things sparked joy, I love ’em, and I couldn’t be happier that they found their rightful and permanent way into my wardrobe.
PSST – I actually have a white pair of identical Salvatore Ferragamo shoes, size 6, which will be up for sale over at Gen. Co. at some point. If this style is for you, and you want to give them a good home, let me know!
Outfit: tank – Enza Costa | jeans – Citizens of Humanity from Clementine | kitten heels – Plato’s Closet | bag – Cuyana | belt – thrifted | watch – J.Crew | sunglasses – Prada
Long time no blog! Thank you for your patience while I took a much needed (although it seemed to go by all too quickly) break from the blog. I used a lot of my break time to recharge, vent about social media, plan where I want this blog to go, topics I want to cover (think: fashion sustainability and ethics, partnerships and collaborations, fashion documentaries/book reviews, etc.), and how I plan to infuse quality over quantity throughout it all. I’ll be making a few tweaks to the blog as we go and hope to pop in with a vlog or two. But in the mean time, let’s all don our white pants after Labor Day and keep things looking fresh shall we?